OneDrive is a Microsoft utility and a default online storage and syncing services for Windows 10 and Office 365. Its functionality and design hosts smooth usability and reliability with a useful feature set. OneDrive is included in Windows 10 utility-package and if you do not want to see it, you can choose to disable it anytime and can also remove it from File Explorer. The process to disable OneDrive on your Windows PC is different for Home users, and Pro or Enterprise users.
Why Should You Disable OneDrive?
There are a lot of reasons to disable OneDrive on Windows 10, here are listed a few of them:
- Gain back control for your data.
- Does not store data on Microsoft-based servers.
- You wish to use alternate cloud solutions i.e. Google Drive or Dropbox.
- You want to build your own cloud storage.
Best Ways To Disable OneDrive On Your Windows Computer
Disable OneDrive File Syncing
If you wish to disable file syncing on OneDrive, follow the steps below. These steps will help you temporarily disable or pause file syncing. This will restrict OneDrive from uploading changes to local files. Here’s how to disable or turn off OneDrive:
- Click on the cloud-like icon i.e. OneDrive icon from the taskbar or launch the OneDrive app from the Start Menu.
- In the pop-up menu, click on More button.
- Head to Pause Syncing and choose for how long you wish to enable it.
- To stop OneDrive from syncing files, remove all the folders that it monitors. For this, click on OneDrive icon > More > Settings > Account > Choose folders.
- On the next screen, checkmark Make all files available and then press OK.
This way you can stop OneDrive from automatically syncing files from your PC.
Unlink OneDrive Windows 10
While you unlink OneDrive on Windows 10, your Microsoft Account will be removed and prevents your files from syncing. Follow the steps below to unlink OneDrive:
- Head to One Drive icon, click on More > Settings > Account and then click on Unlink this PC.
- Confirm the unlink account on the dialog box that opens next.
- Once done, OneDrive on your Windows will be signed out. The files that were recently synced will remain unchanged but the changes thereafter will not be uploaded to your OneDrive storage.
Disable OneDrive On Windows 10
To disable OneDrive on Windows using Settings app, follow these steps:
- Open Windows Settings using Win+I keys together.
- Head to Apps > Apps & Features.
- Look out for Microsoft OneDrive and then click on it.
- Now, click on the Uninstall option.
- Confirm Uninstall on the next dialog box to completely remove OneDrive app on your Windows computer.
Home Users: Uninstall OneDrive Windows
Being a home user, you can uninstall OneDrive on Windows 10 easily. While for the Windows 10 professional, enterprise or educational users, you need to follow the Group Policy Editor method instead. While Windows home users can uninstall OneDrive using the Control Panel. Here’s the stepwise process:
- Head to the Start Menu and open Control Panel.
- Navigate to Programs > Uninstall A Program.
- You’ll then see Microsoft’s OneDrive listed.
- On the top of the window, locate Uninstall.
Windows will immediately uninstall OneDrive, and the OneDrive icon will disappear from the notification area
Pro and Enterprise Users: Disable OneDrive Using Local Group Policy Editor
For the ones using a Pro or Enterprise account on Windows, uninstalling OneDrive is not as simple. It is recommended to disable or hide OneDrive using the Local Group Policy Editor. Here’s how to use this to disable OneDrive:
- On the Search bar, type in gpedit.msc and press Enter.
- Open the Group Editor and navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > OneDrive.
- Then, double-click on Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage.
- On the next window, select Enabled and click OK.
- That’s how pro users can disable OneDrive on your Windows computer.
If Not OneDrive Then What?
While you’ve disabled or turned off OneDrive on Windows 10, you might be looking for an alternate cloud storage service. You can switch to another free and reliable cloud storage service like Google Drive, Dropbox etc. While on the other side, when you decide to keep OneDrive running, backup important folders to OneDrive accepting it as a one-stop solution to store all your important and confidential files. For the files that were already stored or synced to your PC, you can delete them if no longer of use. For this, navigate to C:\Users\NAME\OneDrive folder. Select the files you want to delete.
This ends our article on how to disable/ turn off or unlink OneDrive on a Windows computer. Do let us know if this guide was of your help. Also, share with us any queries or suggestions in the comments section below.
Was this helpful?
0 / 0