Just like for any other online business, SEO is crucial for healthcare practitioners. Whether it be local medical organizations, hospitals, or clinics, all have one main goal and that is to attract more customers/ patients. So it is quite clear that having a website of your own would not help it. You need actionable content and high-converting web pages to find more patients who need assistance and medical attention.
Here are a few statistics that make the above-said argument more obvious:
- 5% of all Google searches are health-related.
- Consumers researching physical therapists, nursing homes, and optometrists are the most likely to use search engines.
- Search drives 3x more visitors to hospital sites compared to non-search.
- 94% of healthcare patients use online reviews to evaluate providers.
Therefore, SEO is the best way to lead potential patients to your business. By optimizing your website for the search engines you can improve your visibility and stand out better than your competitors.
7 SEO writing tips that will help you grow your healthcare practice
1. Use the right keywords
Keywords are an essential aspect of SEO writing. They can help your website rank well in the search engine and find the right audience. So the first thing that you need to do is to set up your Google keyword planner tool and identify the best keywords suitable for your website. Not just this, take a look at your competitors’ websites and find out their top ranking keywords.
Here are a few tips to include keywords in your writing:
- Always use the keywords organically. They should not seem forced or stuffed into your text just for ranking purposes.
- Always add keywords in your meta description as it helps Google in summarising the results.
- Use the main keyword in the title of your article/ blog post/ web page.
- Always mention the main keyword in the first-200 and the last-200 words of your page.
- Use keywords in headings and subheadings.
- Use keywords in anchor text links.
2. Define title tags and meta description
The title tag is the name of the page or blog post that appears in the search engine. The optimal length of the title tag is 65 characters. It should be attractive or intriguing so that users want to click on it to see what you are offering them. Always include the main keyword in the title tag so that search engines can quickly index it.
The meta description is the text displayed below the title tag in the search engine. It is the description or a one-two-line summary of your webpage. The optimal length of the meta description is 150 characters. So, make sure you write it carefully in a simple, clear, and concise form.
Meta descriptions are quite useful for search engines because they help the search engines understand what your web page is all about. They also help the users get a glance at your web page and help them decide whether they will find the required information in it.
Here’s is a quick example of how title tag and meta description looks on the search engine:
3. Create original content for your website
You can publish a variety of content on your website including blog posts, videos, interviews, patient testimonials, medical breakthroughs, infographics, conversations, and much more. It is your content, after all, that will highlight the value of your expertise and bring more traffic.
But there are a few best practices that you need to follow for creating content that attracts the right audience to your healthcare business. Let’s take a look at a few of them:
- Make sure to create content that your audience wants to see. The best way to ensure that is to answer the frequently asked questions or write about the topics trending in your industry.
- Keep all the content under the same roof so that it is easier for the audience to understand your work.
- Ensure that your headlines are powerful, attractive, easy to understand and intriguing. A great headline ensures a great outreach.
- Seek inspiration from other writers but always add your own magical touch to the content that you are creating.
4. Build primary pages for your content
Primary pages also known as pillar pages are quite crucial for your healthcare website. These pages offer an opportunity to include a range of links to relevant service pages, blog posts, social media pages, white papers, downloadable guides, landing pages, and more.
For a healthcare website, you can create pillar pages that cover your essential services and offerings, landing pages, or common healthcare topic clusters. Here are a few best practices for creating pillar pages:
- Include at least 2000-5000 words on the pillar page.
- Target search volume for pillar pages should be 400 searches per month so choose your keywords accordingly.
- List out potential subtopics for a pillar page, find relevant keywords related to every subtopic that link to the pillar page.
- Provide a downloadable version of your pillar page for a better user experience.
- Include a table of contents on the pillar page to provide better navigation.
- A pillar page is not exactly a landing page. It should have text above the fold to draw your visitor into reading more.
5. Target the right audience
If you want to succeed in healthcare writing the best thing is to consider whom you are writing the content for. The Healthcare industry is quite broad, more than what we can imagine. You can create content for not only patients but also for doctors, nurses, hospitals, clinics, insurance companies, medical tourism companies, medical representatives, and pharma manufacturers.
So while creating content, you must be very careful about who the reader is. Then, it will be much easier for you to pick the right keywords and terminology. It will also help you gain a good perspective about what you need to write and how you need to write. Here are a few tips that will help you understand your audience and create content accordingly:
- Know yourself. You must understand who you are, your expertise and the goals of your business. Then only you can understand who your audience is.
- Know the language of your audience and speak that language to attract their attention. If they are professionals, make sure your content includes the required terminology.
- Find what your audience is looking for and give them the right content for it.
- You must also know where to find your right audience. It could be social media or even discussion forums.
6. Be specific, clear and concise
Many websites are often not specific on the internet which is why people do not trust them. But, if you are running a healthcare website, you must be specific otherwise it can give rise to confusion. Clarity is an important factor in SEO writing as it helps the readers understand what you are trying to convey. Healthcare writing is not about rambling. It needs to be precise and to the point.
Reading long, complex sentences can be overwhelming for the audience. Many times reading unnecessary words makes them lose interest in the content and they may simply switch to another website. Then it could take a lot of effort to bring them back. Concise writing, on the other hand, makes it easier for them to understand your point and keeps their attention intact on your website.
Here are some tips on how to ensure clarity in your writing:
- Make sure the content is not misleading. Always include accurate information in your content.
- Provide statistics, facts and data in your content so that users get the required information. If people think that your content is credible, they will come to your website again and again.
- Set yourself as an authoritative figure in the industry by sharing accurate updates.
- You may also quote real-life stories in your content to enhance the credibility of your website.
7. Create readable content consistently
This tip includes two important aspects of SEO writing, readability and consistency. If you want more people to appreciate and read your content, you must ensure that it is easy to read and grasp. Here are a few tips to do that:
- Use typography for enhancing the look and feel of your website content. Choose simple fonts like Arial or Times New Roman as they are easy to read.
- Make sure that the background of your website is not too dark or colourful. The colours of the website affect the readers. So do not choose something bold for your healthcare website.
- Divide your blog posts into different headings and subheadings. Include a table of contents for easy navigation.
- Use pictures, infographics or gifs to enhance your blog posts and make them easy to understand.
- Format your articles using bullet points, numbered lists, etc to make your blog easier to read.
Now, we also talked about consistency at the beginning of this SEO writing tip. How often you post content on your website or social media platforms is quite important for SEO purposes. Let us see why:
- Producing high-quality content on your website on a regular basis makes it easier for the audience to trust you.
- It makes your website appear more credible and authentic to the users.
- It also keeps your audience engaged with your website. As a result, it is easy to retain customers.
- Consistent content shows the search engines that a website is well-maintained and its information is updated regularly.
Running a healthcare website is incomplete without the right content that boosts your SEO performance. These 7 SEO writing tips will help you create a better content strategy for your website and reach the intended audience. A few things that you should never neglect while creating content for your healthcare website are keywords, originality, clarity, simplicity, and readability. Generate content consistently and for the right audience. Use techniques like constructing pillar pages, using title tags and meta descriptions to enhance your SEO.
Author’s bio – Emma Jackson is a specialist in content writing, blogging, and exploring new topics. Emma is also a part contributor to GoAssignmentHelp which provides essay writing services. She loves to write about topics like marketing, education, and assignment services.